If you’re searching for the perfect DIY dog mom gift for Mother’s Day that’s also thoughtful, this might be it! We are all ready for summer to get here and have been doing a lot of planting around the house. I thought it would be so cute to have a dog themed painted terracotta pot and put the dog’s paw prints on them! This was a very cost effective project that was pretty easy too. If you can’t access any dog’s paws, try a paw print stencil and you can add the dog’s name next to the paw stencil.
FYI my husband, Jeff, came up with a ‘signature’ for each of our dogs. He did it for Mother’s Day a few years ago and it has always stuck. He wanted the dogs to sign my Mother’s Day card with their signature’s based on their personalities. It is so adorable! He added their signatures next to each of their paw prints on the pot 😉
Here’s what you’ll do…
- Spray down the terracotta pot with the Rust-Oleum spray. This coats and protects the pot from ruining your paint since the pot is porous like. Do two coats. Let it cure for 24 hours.
- Start painting! You can paint the pot one color or two like I did. If painting the rim of the pot a different color use painters tape to tape off the edges. Do 2-3 coats of paint depending on your paint. Let dry for 24 hours if possible.
- Now for the paw prints! You can see below I had some soapy water nearby and I used a paper towel. I also did this outside. I painted each of my dog’s paw with a layer of paint and pressed it on the pot. You don’t need to press down too hard. Wash off their paw immediately. You can also use a stencil for this instead of your dog’s paw! Let dry.
- Write the dog’s name next to the paw print!
- Spray another layer of Rust-Oleum spray all over the painted pot and let cure for 24 hours.
- Plant your plant with some potting soil and enjoy!