I’m really particular when it comes to what I feed my dogs and what I will put on their bodies. Many commercial flea and tick sprays or drops are packed with harmful chemicals that I don’t want on my pups as they can cause adverse reactions and skin problems. This flea and tick spray contains all natural ingredients and protects pups from nasty bugs. I spray it generously all over my dogs, avoiding their eyes, especially when we are in wooded areas like taking hikes in Wisconsin. I also spray it before and after they’ve gone swimming.
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (organic preferred)
- half a lemon
- 1/4 a cup of organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 pint of water for boiling
- 1 empty spray bottle
Optional: 1 drop of high-quality lavender and peppermint oil depending on the size of your dog.
Rosemary is a naturally woody type of herb that deters bugs. Lemon, apple cider vinegar and peppermint are tart and acidic which bugs hate while lavender prevents infestations and is good for skin. Between this spray and my dogs’ heartworm preventative, they are safe from bugs all year round! Do not use rosemary essential oil – that oil is toxic to dogs and can induce seizures.
1. Bring the pint of water to a boil
2. Once boiling, add the rosemary into the boiling water
3. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.*
4. Combine rosemary water with fresh half squeezed lemon, apple cider vinegar together in the spray bottle.
5. Shake up and spray generously on your dog for protection! Keep in the refrigerator for added freshness
*Some people reported the water evaporated, keep an eye on the rosemary to make sure it does not. I did not experience this!